Friday 14 May 2021

Clarice Cliff pic n mix bits and bobs.


  Clarice Cliff above restored from a poor press picture circa 1934. Copyright Chris Rogers 2021.

The Bigarre Girls thought them an handle short of a lotus jug, then we had pieces made by Wedgewood which again were hand  painted, and various depth of colours and different colours etc etc. I was lucky Rene Dale the original painter and a Bigarre girl painted me 4 plates from the original designs.

Alice Andrews was the misses of the Bigarre shop  She would visit Wedgwood often Being a painter at a factory and being a designer is another thing, 

I have seen many try and many fail. The Wedgwood interpretations The Clarice Cliff Bigarre range had printed outlines too. Pity a reproduction would have been great.  I wish anyone luck as a designer, and are only too happy to see their work on sale! No jealousy here! 

In 1985 Midwinter reproduced some Clarice Cliff pieces very good they were too. Ethel Barrow advised them on hand painting, she was the original Crocus Painter.

Gladys Scarlett worked for Clarice as a painter and was a good designer, she left to work for Royal Venton one, and hand painted one range and was not heard of again.

Another mess is people taking bits of Clarice's work, and doing a Woolworths pic and mix,  on the design bits of this design put with this or that. All great designers like Clarice and many others water coloured their pattens before doing a sample on pottery,

A glass version of a Daffodil vase Clarice famously used.



 I know when something is an original design. Arthur Mallen with his Red Roof Daffodil vase circa 1934. Below in 1995.


Antiques experts doubted such a vase was made Eric Knowles, was send a picture and never replied but we kept a copy! so called experts.....


The Clarice Cliff Collectors Club tried to bully me online, but again I can teach you how to bully a bully in my next blog another one bits the dust!

I think they are unhappy because my designs are original in watercolours or on ceramic pieces, maybe taking something away from Clarice? not all! not all her designs were original nor the shapes, I believe she had to pay Royalties to a silver smith for her Stamford tea pot shape. I try to be original in every way.

All designers are inspired by someone and although Clarice Cliff was mostly original some designs were not original and came from well known sources."idyll" from a 1928 Crown Devon pattern. "Windbells" from a wooden fruit box circa 1929.
 
Clarice Cliff picture and Art Deco frame above By Chris Rogers Copyright 2021.



I have spent almost 40 years learning about Clarice and the process of painting on ceramic, I do use modern open medium the stink of turps fat Is not in the same league as Joop.

I do know my views may not be welcome by everyone but who says? we all need to sing from the same Hymn sheet?

Mirage" plate below made in 1999 By designer Chris Rogers an original design made in small numbers.



 

far right motherly Clarice circa 1948.


Chris Rogers Designer&Hand Painter 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment