Monday 10 January 2022

The Colour Room my opinion of the film.

 I caught The Colour Room, the story of Clarice Cliff starring Pheobe Dynevor and Matthew Goode today surprise surprise a very nice film. Guy Shorter was a nasty, mean piece of work, Colleys brother Still Clarice held her own. 

I remember in 1972 that Guy gave a newspaper Clarice's phone number, and Clarice did not want to help with the exhibition at Brighton Museum. Her health was poor and her memories not so clear.

Clarice smoked a clay pipe not shown in the film? the ending was poor so much more to tell from 1928-1972, but the film ended in around 1928.

I feel another story was about to be told but never was what a a pity? upper right Clarice circa 1932.

Below: Clarice Cliff in her garden circa 1952.




 Pheobe was good as Clarice but the man as Guy Shorter was excelliant. To be honest I thought the film was going to be a marketing thing for Clarice Cliff pieces, but no the love story was the main focus for me.

Go see why she had guts and a fighter Stoke should feel proud of her legacy so do something more than just a statue please? a visit experience at the least?

50 years since she passed and 46 since I sold lotus jugs aged 19, down London for a friend long gone, no one was bothered then £10 a jug my how times have changed more like £2000 today and rightly so.

I was surrounded by tough Clarice like women, and boy did they keep you on your toes, happy days for sure....


Chris Rogers Artist/Historian 2022.

Below a Chris Rogers original hand painted Sugar Shaker circa 2016.








No comments:

Post a Comment